How to survive the holidays!
Make this your best holiday ever–
by keeping it simple and fun for everyone!
Four gifts that are wonderful, easy–and free:
1. Listening to a friend or your child with no daydreaming or interrupting
2. Laughter makes you feel better-check out the comics, cartoons or funny stories
3. Give a sincere compliment such as “That was a great recipe you made” makes someone feel great
4. Solitude helps revitalize us to be ready for the next project-so enjoying a warm bath, reading a book, praying, meditating, or practicing yoga– anything that helps to relax us and recharge–is necessary for good mental health!
To help curb stress do these things:
- Ask everyone what they would like to do and what their lists contain
- You have the right to have mixed emotions: happy, sad, frustrated, guilty, afraid, thankful;
- Ask for help when you need it from spouse or friend or your child or church or community groups
- Limit lists to a specific number of things decided by your family
- Be organized by making lists of what to do on paper or cell phone
- Get enough sleep to feel your best!
- Simplify family traditions–for example, make graham cracker gingerbread houses with milk cartons instead of from scratch
- Enjoy your traditions by limiting what you are doing
- Do something special for someone you don